The Cats are traveling down to Colombia, Missouri, to take on the Tigers this afternoon for the fifth game of the season.
The Kentucky Wildcats are coming off a big time win at Tennessee, their first win in Knoxville in 36 years, and are at .500 for the season. As Kentucky is coming off a high rise of steam after last week, and with todays game appearing to be a lock for a win, we've learned that you can't guarantee anything after the loss versus Ole Miss. While Kentucky has lost some they should've won, and won some many expected them to lose, this season has been as curvy as a bluegrass backroad and we don't always know what to expect.
One thing we can go off of are numbers...
Series vs. Missouri:
• Kentucky leads the all-time series 7-3, including 3-2 in Columbia
• The SEC East rivals have met every year since 2012 with Mizzou winning the first three meetings and UK the past five
• Two of the past three games came down to the closing minutes - even final play, with UK hanging on to a 40-34 win in 2017 and 15-14 in 2018 on one final untimed down.
• Last season, Kentucky defeated Missouri in the rain, producing a 29-7 victory at Kroger Field
• The game was played in a steady rain from start to finish, marking the second consecutive week the Cats played in the rian from start to finish.
• Biggest UK win: 22 (29-7) in 2019 in Lexington
• Biggest Mizzou win: 31 (48-17) in 2013 in Lexington
• Games decided by eight points or less: UK leads 5-0
The Kentucky-Missouri rivalry has resulted in plenty of close endings, in which 5 of the 8 all time matchups ending within a 8 point or less margin, which Kentucky is 5-0 in. You might remember the last time Kentucky traveled to Missouri in 2018, when Terry Wilson hit CJ Conrad in the end zone on the final play of the game.
UK had trailed 14-3 with under six minutes remaining when the comeback first started when Lynn Bowden returned a 67 yard punt for a score to cut the deficit to 14-9. Kentucky then got the ball back on their own 19-yard line with 1:24 remaining and quickly made their way down the field. With four seconds left, Wilson lofted a pass to the back corner of the end zone where Ahmad Wagner caught it but couldn't stay in bounds. However, Missouri was flagged for pass interference, setting up the final untimed down where Terry made the throw to CJ.
Missouri traveled to Lexington last season where Kentucky found their biggest win of the series, 29-7, while the Lynn Bowden show took off under the pouring rain and Kroger Field bright lights.
Per UK Athletics, A UK Win Would:
• Extend UK's winning streak over Missouri to six games
• Be the Cats' third consecutive win in Columbia
• Improve the Cats to 4-2 all-time vs. Missouri in the Show Me State
• Be the first time UK has won consecutive SEC road games since 2009. The Cats won three straight road games that season (at Auburn, Vanderbilt and Georgia)
• Give Stoops 47 career victories, tying Fran Curci (1973-81) for second on the school's all-time list
• ImproveTerry Wilson to 15-5 as UK's starting quarterback
Check out La Touraine Watches for their exclusive deals on their new watches! Use our special discount code: CatsCoverage to receive 25% OFF your order! If Tony Delk is an ambassador of these watches, I think you'll love them too.